20090801

A "LONG" Run Early in the Journey

It's been a while since I've gone out and done a nice long slow distance. I've kept my longer runs for the week down to 6 or 7 miles lately because I really don't need to go any further, doing sprints and Oly's this year. But, I really do miss my longer runs. The ones where I leave the condo, go all the way down past Channelside, down to Bayshore, down and back ON Bayshore, and then back home. When I was training for Umstead, that's what I'd do every weekend, and I really miss it.

Why am I doing longer runs now when CdA isn't til next year? Well, I'm thinking...maybe I should do a 70.3 this year...at the end of the year...just to get myself ready for the big training starting in January. I'll explain...

In 2008, to get ready for CdA, I started training in January for a sprint distance race in March (Moss Park)...then an Olympic in April (St. A's)...then a 70.3 in May (IM 70.3 FL)...and finally CdA in June. I trained "for the task at hand" each time...only ramping up to IM distance training for the last 6 weeks or so. This time, it will be different. I'm already training at the 70.3 level right now, and I don't even HAVE a 70.3 race in my schedule. My longest triathlon this year, so far, is an Olympic...and it's in a month. I'm already doing 50 and 60 mile bike rides (literally WAY overtraining for an Olympic) and 10 mile runs (and longer in the coming weeks). I need to do a 70.3 some time before the end of the year. I think I could do really well at Miami Man if it's not closed. It's WAY expensive for what it is (it's really not a 70.3, the bike course is 3 miles short)...and it's a long drive. But I've always had a good time doing it. I don't know what other 70.3 I could do towards the end of the year (Miami Man is in November) that would fit into my schedule. I have Marine Corps Marathon to PR at, and I'd like to win both of the ultras I won last year in December. Not sure where a 70.3 would fit right now, but I am determined to figure it out.

No comments: