20081208

Confessions of an Obsessive-Compulsive Ultrarunner

MO081208

87.5 miles in one week. That's how far I ran between the dates of 29Nov and 6Dec. 32.5 on 29Nov (the 50K was long), a mile each day for 3 days during the week, and 50 miles on 6Dec. I confess...I derive some sort of chemical pleasure from this. During the week, there was no need at all to run. I would probably have done BETTER at Sunmart (not that 15th of 187 overall and 3rd in Age Group is bad) if I'd just have rested between the 50K and the 50 Miler. But something in me told me I had to do it...even if it was just for a mile at a time. There is some sort of running devil residing in my body that makes me feel as though I'm COMPELLED to run, even when I don't need or want to.

This week, I have already taken off yesterday completely from all exercise. Today I will do the same, and I will do it again tomorrow. Wednesday I'll start working out with weights a bit, but will not run. I am fully expecting an almost unbearable amount of running withdrawal by the time Thursday comes around, when I can start running again.

My ankle hurts. I rolled it at Mile 40. My quads and hamstrings are sore. My left big toe is blistered. But I still feel like I'm missing opportunities by not running. I am INSANE.

I think, though, that it's a good thing...since that compulsion will force me to finish that 100 miler in April and forego any and all doubts, even though I know I'll be in pain and want to quit a thousand times over.

Here's my Sunmart race report...it's long but it's full of drama and excitement!