20091028

Army Anxiety

Yesterday, on my last day of employment at LA Fitness, one of my favorite clients (who I've become friends with) trained with me. Her name is Hayley, she's in the US Army, and before she'd left for re-activation, I helped her lose 20 pounds. Unfortunately, a condition she "acquired" from being blown up in Iraq a year earlier (she lost her entire company over there...every one of them died, except for her...and she came pretty close) kept her from active duty upon return to the Army. So they put her in the reserves. As a result, she has to prepare for a Physical Fitness Test in a month. So, we decided to do the standard Army PT exercises to see where she stood (and I wanted to know how I'd score on the test). Her requirements were 17 pushups and 52 situps. She got 20 pushups, but only got 36 situps. Almost there...but she's got some work to do. We skipped the run part. She didn't want to run. I got 87 pushups and 75 situps. I would estimate my 2-mile run at 13:00 or under.
My scores would have been:
Pushups - 87 - 100+% (75 is 100%)
Situps - 75 - 99% (76 is 100%)

Run - 13:00 - 100+% (13:18 is 100%)
Total score - 299
S0...that makes me happy. :) 299 out of 300 for a first try!

Now...on to the anxiety part. Coincidentally, my OTHER friend Haley (no extra Y) deploys today. She'll be in Kuwait for a while, and then Iraq. I won't see her for over a year. I won't be able to talk to her for at least 6 weeks. I'm scared/nervous for her (and sad for myself cuz I won't be able to talk about CF and other fun stuff with her)...but so excited to see what she experiences there. Still, I'm having major anxiety over it. I didn't expect to be feeling this way. I'm having more trouble with it than I initially expected. She and I have become much closer friends over the past couple years. I lost my soul sister this year to breast cancer. I lost a close friend to brain cancer last year. I can't imagine losing another close friend to terrorists in the coming one. The thought of going to a sad military funeral makes me close my eyes and scream inside.

No comments: