20091008

The Insane VO2 Max is BACK!!!!

CrossFit has done it again I tell you.

About two weeks ago, I was genuinely nervous about Marine Corps Marathon. My running, because of my insistence (earlier in the year) on bodybuilding, had become slower and less efficient. It was when I had trouble keeping a previously "slow" pace for three miles that I realized I was going in the wrong direction. The last "nail in the coffin" was when I realized I'd stopped PR'ing in everything I did. I don't expect to PR in every race, but there were certain races I should have been faster in (case in point, the bike at Crystal River...I averaged 23.8mph last year and only 23.4 this year...it should have been well over 24).

I'm STRONG...but I'm not efficient. The good news is, the efficiency is returning. I've returned to CrossFit and have been doing more and more difficult workouts. I've stopped bodybuilding altogether in the last month and have been concentrating more on power, speed, and endurance. Sure I can still get stronger doing these things (clean and jerk requires strength as well as power), and I can still push up heavy weight doing bench presses...it IS a CrossFit move.

Last night my 5 mile run was supposed to be run at 7:30 pace...but my effort level was almost too low at that pace and I wound up running faster. 7:13 was my overall pace for the run and I felt great. In true CrossFitQ fashion, I immediately dropped and did 50 pushups, all in one set, after I finished running.

Not only is my efficiency, VO2max, and endurance returning...so is my confidence. This is big since I've been worried about my ability to reach my overall marathon season goal...run a BQ-worthy time (that's 3:15:59 or better) at every ROAD marathon I do this season. It doesn't count for trail marathons which will obviously be slower but road marathons need to be fast and efficient. Plus, I'd like to better my marathon PR at Gasparilla in 2010, since this year I ran 5 minutes shy of it (3:11 in '09...3:06 in '08). So, my training needs to be focused and goal-oriented. For this reason, I've shut down my idea for my "three-day Ironman" that I was gonna do at the end of November. Too much swimming and biking will reorient my focus in a direction I don't need to go in right now. My efficiency still isn't at 100%...but I'm confident that by the end of this month...by Marine Corps Marathon day...it will be pretty damn close to it.

It's time for CrossFit and running. That's what October thru February is all about. So THAT is what I'm gonna concentrate on. Or I'll kick myself in the ass come Gaspy day.

No comments: