20090401

The Countdown!

20090401 - 2200

In less than three days I will embark on the most ambitious event I've ever attempted. This will be more work than Ironman, more work than any other run I've ever done. I will attempt to run 100 miles in less than 24 hours elapsed. I'm totally prepared to not catch this goal, because I am just not sure I can do it. But I do know that I can finish within the allotted 36 hour window. I've become used to setting my mind to something and hitting it. But with this race, I am just not sure what it's gonna do to me. This is hitherto unexperienced territory for me mentally, emotionally, and physically. It is totally possible that I will experience levels of pain I've never before encountered. In face I EXPECT to face it. But it will be all part of the 100 mile run experience and I'm ready to undertake this task.

During the day on Saturday, Brian will be putting up periodic updates as to my progress through the course. Keep an eye on this blog to see how I'm doing, how fast I'm running, and where I am positionwise in the race. I do NOT expect to win, or take an overall place in this race, it's my first race and I just want to finish. Hitting my goal would be icing on the cake...an overall place would be icing on the icing.

Periodic goals...
Finish first 25 miles in 4 hours
Finish first 50 miles in 10 hours
Get 75-80 miles done by midnight Saturday/Sunday
Finish the race by 6am Sunday morning

I'm still unsure as to my pacers/crew. I do know I'll have Brian and Shaun with me...possibly a few others. Stay tuned...the story unfolds here...

1 comment:

Paulette said...

I totally wish I could be there for you!!! I think you are going to do awesome. You are talented enough to finish sub 24, but seriously lots of stuff can happen out there. I'm totally not trying to bring you down at all. In fact, I am pushing for the sub 24, but I really want you to have a great time out there. My advice, roll with it. Trust me you are going to have so many ups and downs...and honestly I, myself, could care less about looking for your time, I want the story...!! Have a great adventure. Oh and I have fellow blogger friend out there....vetrans, Bob http://blogmyruns.blogspot.com/ and Tony http://www.irunultras.com/ if you see either of these men, tell them I said hi!!!