20110403

A New Approach!

Everyone's so into this minimalist running thing (I admit, I've done some myself) that I figured...why not try minimalist TRAINING!  So at the advice of a good friend, and the indirect advice of the author of the book I'm reading ("The Four Hour Body" by Tim Ferriss), I'm gonna try a new approach to working out.  I'm taking his program and modifying it slightly to meet my goals.  I'll post the progress here over the next few weeks.  I'm even gonna post the workouts here so if anyone is interested in trying this, you'll have the tools to make it work!

Diet will be protein heavy, of course.  It will also include some slow carbs and a lot of vegetables.  I cannot give up my milk addiction (that is to say...I WILL NOT) so I'm gonna keep drinking it, but I'll move to higher fat content to lower the GI and GL of the milk.  Yes, I know...even higher fat milk still has a higher GL per GI of other high protein foods, but whatever...I love milk. 

So...with that being said...here is my first week of minimalist training.  Except for my last 15 mile run in preparation for the Boston Marathon on April 18th, I'll be doing a very small amount of workouts in the gym and outside.  

Week 1...
Monday
AM:  Weighted back extensions, 2 x 8, 3 min rests between
PM:  150 jumpropes, 50 situps, 120 jumpropes, 40 situps, 90 jumpropes, 30 situps, 60 jumpropes, 20 situps, 30 jumpropes, 10 situps (NO REST BETWEEN ANY EXERCISES)

Tuesday
AM:  Brian:  8 x 200m on the 2 minute, not slowing more than 2-3 seconds
         Jeff: Run 15 miles tempo
PM:  Fran (21-15-9 reps of thrusters and pullups)

Wednesday
AM:  OFF
PM:  5K TT

Thursday
AM:  Row 1500m or run 1 mile (max speed) then do 30 powercleans or 45 upright row
PM:   Run 3-6 miles, Zone 2

Friday
AM:  2 x 800 on the 4 minute, not slowing more than 2-3 sec
PM:  3 rounds of:  max reps pullups, rest 1 min, max rep pushups, rest 1 min, max rep squats, rest 1 min

Saturday
AM:  Bench press (60% max) 8 x 3 reps, on the 1 min, rest 10 min, treadmill Tabatas
PM:  OFF

Sunday
AM:  15 thrusters, 30 box jumps, 12 thrusters, 20 box jumps, 9 thrusters, 10 box jumps


So...this should keep my busy for the week.  At least I won't have to worry about not having enough time to train.  I can literally get up only 30 minutes early and still have time to do the workout and get to work on time.  Can't wait to see how this works out!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Andrew and I did the two Ass workouts for a month as our only strength training besides pushups and pullups. It worked really well. We used the 20kg kettlebell for almost all of it. Took 10-20 minutes twice a week.