20080101

Happy New Year! Here we go!!

TU080101

Full Workout:
"CrossFit Total"
Back squat, 1 rep
Shoulder press, 1 rep

Deadlift, 1 rep
Do one rep of each and then add weight to each exercise til you're at the max weight you can do. Start with something you THINK is your max. If it is, you won't have to go further than two sets becuase you'll be at failure on the second set. The goal of this workout is to set a "total" and make it bigger as you do the program.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you reach your max in one exercise and not the others, you keep the weight you maxed at in that exercise and add to the others until you've maxed at all three.

Scaled:
There really is no scaling for this one. This is CrossFit's benchmark workout where you test your 1-rep max on these three very basic very important exercises. If you are unfamiliar with the moves, use the hack squat machine for the back squat, and the seated shoulder press machine for the presses. There really is no substitution for deadlifts. Do them with dumbbells if you are nervous about picking up a bar.

Beginner:
I'd say that these are extremely scalable moves so there should be no reason that anyone should have to substitute a simplefit workout today.


NOTE:
Today is New Year's Day and I realize most gyms are closed. Tomorrow is a CrossFit rest day. I'm officially giving the option of skipping today and working out tomorrow instead. If this is the case, you will be working out for four days in a row instead of three for the first week of your program. I myself may have to do that, since my gym is probably closed today.

Post your total to the comments field below. Happy New Year and Happy CrossFitting!!

Q's Results for the Day:
Total: 645

Squat: 245
Shoulder press: 115
Deadlift: 285

I took six sets to get there. I need to start heavier next time so I don't fatigue. If I'd started heavier I'd have gone heavier I'm sure. On to next time!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossfit Total 685

Squat 275lbs
Shoulder Press 130lbs
Deadlift 280lbs

Took a couple sets to get up to the max, will not be as fatiqued next time around, as I'll have a better sense of starting point. Really looking forward to this challenge.

Anonymous said...

Squat: 245
Shoulder Press: 105
Dead Lift: 155
Total: 505

Felt like my form for the dead lift was especially terrible so I didn't push it. There's definitely a lot left in the tank there.